Androgen insensitivity syndrome


Is there treatment for androgen insensitivity syndrome?

There are reconstructive surgeries and hormone replacement therapies available to those with androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS). An evaluation by specialists in disorders of sex development (DSD), which includes AIS, is recommended in order to determine the extent and needs of those with AIS. Specialists may include endocrinologist, urologist, medical geneticist and genetic counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists. Psychological support for issues that arise for those with AIS is one of the most important parts of their care. With proper support, most individuals lead normal lives.

More information about the treatment of AIS is available through Accord Alliance, which is an organization that promotes a comprehensive approach to the care and wellbeing of patients and families with disorders of sex development (DSD). Visit their website at The Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Disorders of Sex Development in Childhood can be reviewed at

More Treatment Content

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Continue Find out more about our use of cookies and similar technology

This content comes from a hidden element on this page.

The inline option preserves bound JavaScript events and changes, and it puts the content back where it came from when it is closed.

Remember Me